Within SchoolAdmin, there are a few different data scrubbing options that can be activated on your site, in order to improve the consistency of how names and addresses appear across the system. Data scrubbing can fix capitalization issues (e.g. names or addresses entered as all caps or all lowercase), standardize address format, and even generate titles for parents.
Read on below to understand the different types of data scrubbing options available to you. If you want any of these activated, please contact SchoolAdmin Support and indicate which options you want.
Please note: Once activated, the data scrubbing options will take effect on new forms that are imported. Previously submitted data will not be scrubbed by default; however, this additional service can be requested from SchoolAdmin Support.
SchoolAdmin provides three different address scrubbing options to provide consistency in how addresses are displayed in your system. When address scrubbing is turned on, addresses are scrubbed upon form import (e.g. when you import a newly submitted application into the system). To have all prior data scrubbed, please request this from SchoolAdmin Support. We will run this service manually so that all addresses meet the format you choose.
You have three formats to choose from for address scrubbing:
- Short Name: e.g. Ct or Ln
- Full Name: e.g. Court or Lane
- Abbreviated Name: e.g. Ct. or Ln.
The main difference between the short name and the abbreviation is the presence or absence of a period. They are populated according to the US Postal Standards, as shown here.
Title Case will be used for all major address words and names, except for 'camel case' names such as MacArthur or LaRusso.
- Dashes are automatically added to phone numbers on the admin side, even if the parent doesn't include them when typing in their phone number in a form.
- Scrubbing for Apartment #20 vs Apt 20 isn't scrubbed for the number symbol. The abbreviation or full name will be set based on the address scrubbing you choose, as mentioned above.
SchoolAdmin also provides name scrubbing for consistent capitalization rules and to allow for consistency with title generation. When name scrubbing and/or title generation is turned on, names are scrubbed and/or titles are generated upon form import (e.g. when you import a newly submitted application into the system). To have all prior data scrubbed, please request this from SchoolAdmin Support. We will run this service manually so that all names meet the format you choose and/or titles are generated for parents.
Title Case will be used for all names, except for 'camel case' names such as MacArthur or LaRusso. Name scrubbing has the following exceptions:
- Does not change 2-character first names (e.g. TJ, T.J.) but does change 2-character last names (e.g. Ng).
- If a preferred name is detected in the first name subfield, it will be placed into the preferred name subfield. Example: If a first name is entered as "Jeffrey (Jeff)", the data scrub will make "Jeffrey" the first name, and "Jeff" the preferred name (also overwriting anything in the preferred name subfield).
- If a suffix is detected at the end of the last name subfield, it will be placed into the suffix subfield, as long as it matches an existing suffix ignoring capitalization/periods. Example: If a last name is entered as "Jones, Jr." or "jones jr", the data scrub will make "Jones" the last name, and "Jr." the name suffix (also overwriting anything in the name suffix subfield).
Lowercase Articles in Last Names
There is an additional option that can be enabled for name scrubbing, based on how you want to handle lowercase articles in last names.
When enabled, this option will scrub last names containing articles (e.g. des, de la) so that the articles are lowercase. Example: A last name entered as "De La Cruz" would be scrubbed to "De la Cruz" (with the lowercase 'la'). If this option is not enabled, articles in last names will remain the way they are entered on the form.
Generate Titles for Parents
With name scrubbing, you also have the option to auto-generate titles for parents upon form submission. Since the name title subfield cannot be marked as required within a form, title generation is a great way to ensure that all parent contacts in your SchoolAdmin site have a title.
This option will generate titles for anyone with a parent role assigned (who did not fill out the name title subfield) based on the relationship option selected. If a contact is entered into the form with a relationship of 'Guardian', then a title will not be generated, since gender cannot be assumed. However, for relationship types such as mother, father, aunt, or uncle that have a role of parent, the title will be generated based on the gender of these relationship types.