What Is a Field?
Click here to learn about what a field is and how information gets stored/edited.
How to Search for a Field
To search for a particular field or field type, click on filter options.
Here you will see the following:
- Search: Type in the field name or field type (ex, text or boolean) that you’re looking for.
- Apply Filter: Once you’ve set your search criteria, click apply filter to narrow your results.
Field Elements and Editing
Within the Fields page, you can see the different elements displayed as columns. You can also edit some of this information by clicking on Edit next to the field name to open the Field Details Window. (Tip: Further down in this article is an explanation of how to search for a particular field within the page).
Within the 'Field Details' window, Admins have access to view and/or edit the following:
Display Name (1): This is how a field is named in the system, both in contact records and in search & reports. The display name does not affect what is seen on forms. The way a field is displayed on forms is through a prompt. This is explained in more detail further down in the article.
- Editing: You can rename the display name of a field such as changing athletic interests to sport interests.
Name (2): This is canonical name of the field, or the friendly ID of the field that's used on the back-end of the system.
- Editing: The canonical name cannot be changed, even if you change the display name. It will not negatively impact any of your data if the names do not match.
CType (3): The type of field determines what data inputs are allowed in the field. For certain field types such as boolean, booleanlist, and single select, the option selections will be displayed. This is a great way to troubleshoot if you have all of the updated options for a field when doing your admissions or enrollment refresh.
- Editing: This field is only editable by SchoolAdmin Support.
A few examples are:
- Single Select: Only one value can be chosen. The options that are available for this field will be displayed.
- Date: Only a date value in a certain format is allowed
- Text: Only free-form text is allowed. There's no character limits for text fields.
- TextArea: For schools that use text fields for student/parent essays or statements, we recommend using this type of field as it will preserve line breaks. We also recommend having your prospects or students type their response in Word, Google Docs, etc. then copy and paste into SchoolAdmin.
- Boolean: This is a yes or no answer such as, "Is International? Yes or No." The options that are available for this field will be displayed.
- Boolean List: This is a multi-select such as picking multiple academic interests. The options that are available for this field will be displayed.
Grouping (4): This is where a field will be stored within the Personal, Admissions, or Enrollment tab of the Contact Record.
It's also where you can locate a field in the change display/columns list of the Search & Reports page.
Field Grouping Descriptions:
- Click here to read about field groupings contained within the Personal tab of the Contact Record.
- Click here to read about the field groupings contained within the Admissions tab of the Contact Record.
- Click here to read about the field groupings contained within the Enrollment tab of the Contact Record.
- Logic: This is considered a hidden grouping, as it hides a field from the contact record. This is mostly used for retired fields that your school is no longer using. SchoolAdmin will set the grouping to logic, instead of deleting the field, so that any historical data will still be kept in the system, if needed for a historical search.
*Important Note about Groupings and User Permissions: The visibility of groupings and the fields contained within, also pertain to admin/user viewing permissions, as defined in the admin portal accounts page. Click here to learn more.
- Editing: Standard fields such as name, address, birthdate, etc have a hard-coded grouping and cannot be edited. However, non-standard fields allow you to edit the grouping within the drop-down menu. All changes are applied once you click the 'submit' button.
Searchable (5): This checkbox determines if the field can be searched on and displayed as a column in the Search & Reports page. When building a search, the field can be located in the “contact record data (everything else)” search criteria, if your admin/user account has access to view that grouping. If you're not sure where to locate the field in the change display/columns list, refer to the grouping of the field within this Fields page, as it will match the grouping of displayed columns in search.
- Editing: You can mark a field as searchable or not by checking or unchecking the box and clicking submit. If you're unable to locate a field when building a search, this is the box that needs to be checked to make it available. Please note, it may take a few minutes for it to appear in the search page.
Options (6): These are the options available on a form and/or in the contact record for either boolean, single select or multi-select (boolean list) fields. The option list is read-only. Please contact SchoolAdmin Support if you need to add/remove/re-order field options.
Internal Description (7): This is used internally by SchoolAdmin to describe the usage of the field.
Contact Layout (8): This is where you can view and set what fields are displayed within different contact record types. If you're collecting information on the application form that isn't collected during the Inquiry stage, then these fields should only be shown for applicants and any later stages. A few examples of fields that you might display on a parent record only vs a student record are parent work information. The contact layout can also be set within your Fields & Data settings. Click here to learn more.
To see where a field is being used in the system, click on the examine link along the right of the field you'd like to inspect. This will show you if the field is being used on forms, exports, email snippets, etc.
Order on a Contact Record
Fields can be arranged in a custom order on the contact record (shown below) within the Personal, Admissions and Enrollment tabs, based on the order they appear in the Fields List Page.
- First go into Settings-->Fields & Data-->Fields.
- Click on filter options and select the grouping you'd like to re-order. Then click 'apply filter.'
- You can re-order the fields by hovering over the field until you see the cross arrow symbol. Then drag and drop the field to the desired position.
- You can then check a contact record to see the applied changes.
Field Settings that require SchoolAdmin Support
- Adding and Deleting Fields
- The options listed for each field are viewable, but not editable. An example of this is the field Academic Interests as shown below. Option lists drive dependencies on forms (like show / hide of content), business rules, and are often part of an export template or integration to a 3rd party system.