Dual signature requirements are more common with split families or state laws that may require both financially responsible parties to sign a legal document. Standard contract law states that once the first party signs the document, it can no longer be edited after that point.
The process for dual signatures is that the first person signs the contract and they’ll have a prompt that allows them to invite or select another household member associated with that student, or a non-household member to co-sign the document. Once the co-signer is set, they’ll receive an email to create or sign into an existing Parent Portal account with unique information (the same email address cannot be used for both signers). Either party can pay the deposit, however, the deposit can only be paid after both parties sign the contract. The reason for this is that if the first party signs the document and pays the deposit, and the second party rejects the contract, then this will pose an issue. The parents should be under the impression that the contract isn’t valid until both signatures have been applied and the deposit has been paid.
Dual Signature Setup
Within the edit view of the Contract, the dual signature field can have a default value of 'yes' so that it's turned on for all families. If you'd rather set it manually for families, don't set a default value.
If the dual signature field is defaulted to 'yes,' you can manually turn it off for single family or single signature contracts within the Enrollment tab of the student's record. Click on 'edit fields' and locate the 'trigger dual signature' field and set the value to 'no.' IMPORTANT: If you change the value to 'no,' you must regenerate the contract so that only one signature field displays.
Requirements for Multiple Signatures
Two distinct Parent Portal Accounts with different email addresses need to be used for dual signatures.
The contract lifecycle for dual signatures is as follows:
- Pending Signatures
- Payment Pending
- Parent/Guardian A completes the Contract/Registration Form, making sure to fill out all required fields. Within the Electronic Signature section, Parent/Guardian A signs the document (1), and is notified that an additional signature is required (2). Once they sign, they’ll click 'Next' (3).
- Parent/Guardian A is presented with a page to invite another person to co-sign the document. Parent A can select a co-signer by clicking on the 'Send Invite' button. The second signer will receive an email with instructions to log-in and sign the document. Parent A will also see the date and time they signed the document.
- Parent/Guardian A will be prompted to confirm sending an invite to the selected co-signer. Click 'Send' to continue.
- Parent A will see a confirmation message in green at the top of the page letting them know their invite has been sent.
- If you click on the ‘View Invite‘ button, you can see the details of who was invited to sign the document.
- If you click on the ‘Resend Invite‘ link near the bottom of the ‘View Invite‘ screen, you’ll be asked to confirm the address for the invitation. Click ‘Send.’
- Now that Parent A has invited a co-signer, they’ll see the following options listed for the Contract/Registration Form within the Parent Portal checklist: Pending Additional Signatures – this shows that the second signature still needs to be made. View document – clicking on this button navigates to the beginning of the document for the co-signer to review the document and sign it. The co-signer cannot make any changes to the document since it was already signed by Parent/Guardian A.
- Parent/Guardian B then receives the email with instructions to sign the document, similar to the example shown below. Parent/Guardian B then signs into the Parent Portal with their own unique username and password, reviews the document and signs it. Since the document was previously signed by Parent A, Parent B cannot make any edits to the document.
- Once both parents/guardians have signed the contract, either parent/guardian can pay the deposit. Within the Parent checklist, each Parent/Guardian will see: Pending Deposit (1) – this shows the deposit still needs to be paid. Pay Deposit (2) – clicking on this button will navigate to the Deposit page. View Document (3) – clicking on this button will navigate to the beginning of the Contract/Registration Form.
- Once either Parent/Guardian pays the Deposit, they’ll submit the Contract/Registration Form and it will now be marked as complete on the checklist as shown below. No changes can be made unless it is regenerated by the school.
Admins can see who signed the contract when it's in a 'pending signature' or 'pending payment' status. This is helpful with dual signatures when the admin wants to see who signed the contract first, so they can follow-up with the other parent/guardian. It's also helpful for follow-up in a single-signature contract so the school can see who signed the contract but hasn't yet paid the deposit/registration fee.
This information is viewable on the contact record under the Contract checklist item and on the enrollment list page by clicking on the pending signature or pending payment contract status.