To access your existing calendars, click on the Scheduling tab (1) and then click on Calendars (2). To add a new calendar, click on the green plus sign (3). The calendar details window will open.
Calendar Name and Canonical Name
The calendar details window will open. First you’ll create a calendar name and a canonical name. The canonical name is an internal field name in the system used in searches and other back end functions. This should be similar to your calendar name and can only contain characters 0-9, a-z, A-Z, or underscores for spaces. The canonical name will be created automatically as you type in the calendar name, using the same text.
All calendars have a default appointment form that asks for the appointment contact name, email and phone number. If you'd like to gather more information for any of your events, you can work with Support to build a custom event-specific form and the additional fields you may need created to collect your event data. This is useful if you want to ask questions such as how many people are you bringing to the event and what are their names. (Keep in mind that for each registration, only 1 spot is counted). You can then create name badges for all expected attendees. You may also have an event where you hand out school branded t-shirts, so you could ask for the child's t-shirt size and/or connect a fee to the form if needed.
The Details field is where you’ll provide a description of the calendar event. It will display underneath the calendar name when using Public Calendar links and for any parent-facing admission or enrollment checklist items.
Email and Scheduling Options
Next you’ll set email and scheduling options. Here you can set which automated emails you want to be sent to either the appointment contact (the default setting) or to all parents by marking the checkbox. When you first create a calendar, the email templates can't be edited. However, once you submit the calendar, you can go back into the calendar settings to customize each email template. The reminder email can be set to go out with any number of days before the appointment, based on your preference. IMPORTANT: Read more on the reminder email below to see when a parent will or will not receive this notification.
Calendar Email Best Practices: Customize each of the templates you enable with your images, branding, and personal messaging. Please note, each calendar has its own set of confirmation, reminder and cancellation emails so you'll need to customize these templates for each of your events. Click here for email template best practices.
*Video Conferencing Links: Make sure you add the 'video conference link' merge field and/or 'custom schedule text' merge field to your confirmation and/or reminder email templates. These are both located within the 'appointment' merge field grouping.
- Confirmation Email: If enabled, this email will go out as soon as a parent books themselves for an event through a form, public calendar link, or through a checklist item. This includes same day appointments, as long as the time slot has not yet completed. This means the confirmation email will send if the appointment is booked during an ongoing (reoccurring) time slot. Confirmation emails will not be sent for appointments booked in the past (i.e. after the time slot has expired). If the admin books the appointment for the parent on their side of the checklist, the parent will still receive the confirmation email once the appointment is booked. *If you use the video conference link, make sure to add the merge field to your template from the 'Appointment' grouping.
- Reminder Email: If enabled, receipt of the reminder email will depend upon when the appointment was booked. Reminder emails are sent out daily at 4 am Central, based on the number of days set before the appointment. If an appointment is booked less than 24 hours from when the reminder is set to go out at 4 am, the reminder email will not be sent, however, the confirmation email will still go out immediately. This is because reminder emails are usually set to go out close to the appointment, so the parent shouldn't need a reminder email if they booked the appointment within 24 hours of their attendance. Let's look at an example: If an appointment is on Tuesday at 12:30pm with a reminder email set to go out 1 day before (on Monday at 5am) and the parent books themselves for the appointment at any point after 4 am on Monday, the reminder email will not be sent. Appointments that are booked after the reminder trigger is performed will negate the reminder email being sent. Confirmation emails are unaffected. If you want the appointment booking window to close a set number of days prior to the date of the appointment, you can set that here as well. *If you use the video conference link, make sure to add the merge field to your template from the 'Appointment' grouping.
- Cancellation Email: If enabled, the cancellation email will go out to the appointment contact or to all parents based on the setting, when an Admin cancels the appointment or when a parent cancels themselves for an appointment if this option is allowed for parents. IMPORTANT: Admins will not receive a notification of appointment cancellations or a date when the appointment was cancelled.
Now that you have your email and scheduling options set, you can customize your calendar access. Here you can allow parents to:
- Book appointments on their admissions or enrollment checklist in the Parent Portal.
- Allow parents to cancel and reschedule booked appointments in their checklist. If you prefer to manage the cancellation and rescheduling of appointments, leave this box unchecked.
- Once you submit the calendar and it’s created, you can go back into the calendar settings to locate the public link. You'll need to check the box and click submit for the link to be active. IMPORTANT: when using public calendars, each appointment will be created as an Inquiry in the system, which means you will have more duplicate records to merge or manage.
Once all of your calendar details have been set, click Submit to create your calendar or to save your changes on an existing calendar.
- Click here for a list of all Scheduling content.