Intercom is a messaging platform that can be used for providing chat and email support. If you have ever contacted SchoolAdmin through the 'Contact Support' feature, you will already be familiar with the Intercom interface. SchoolAdmin integrates with Intercom so that you can provide chat support to families in the SchoolAdmin Parent Portal.
To use the Intercom integration, you must already have purchased and set up an Intercom instance for your team. Click here to learn more about their available plans. The Customer Support Essential plan, starting at $38/month is the basic plan needed for bi-directional chat with parents. If you wish to add it to your school website and chat with visitors or capture leads, the "All-in-one Essential" is a good place to start.
To watch a live tutorial on how to use and setup Intercom, click here.
How-To: Setup Integration in SchoolAdmin
Once your Intercom instance is set up, you can easily link it up in SchoolAdmin by following these steps:
- Find your Workspace ID in Intercom and copy it.
- In SchoolAdmin, navigate to 'Settings' -> 'Portal' -> 'Intercom Integration'.
- Input the copied Workspace ID into the 'Intercom workspace id' box on the page.
- Check the box for 'Intercom enabled'.
- Click 'Save' at the bottom of the page.
Note: Identity verification is an optional feature, particularly if the primary feature is using the chat function. However, it is recommended and easy to setup. Learn more here.
Verify Intercom is configured correctly
To see it in action, click on your name in the top right and select 'Parent Portal'. On your Parent Portal page, you should see the icon for the Intercom Messenger in the bottom right corner. Clicking on it will expand the Messenger and allow you to start a new conversation or see past conversations.
Learn more about how to customize the Intercom Messenger by clicking here.
If the Messenger Icon does not appear verify two things:
- The Workspace ID is correct
- If you have identify verification requirement enabled within the Intercom application, ensure that is configured properly within SchoolAdmin.