- Billing Emails are located within Settings-->Communications-->Email Templates-->Billing. These emails are sent out automatically by the system during different points of the billing process and should be customized with signatures, images, etc.
- Billing Letter Templates are located within Settings-->Communications-->Letter Templates. These include the Billing Statement and the Tax Statement.
- Along the right you can 'edit' each template to customize the content, and you can 'revert to system default' at any point to start over with our system default template.
Billing Communication Workflow
Billing Email Templates
Below is a list of automated email templates that are sent during the billing process, as well as manual email templates that can be sent. A few best practices for customizing your email templates include:
- Add your school banner, logo, or any other images that you're using across all or most email templates.
- Customize and personalize the body of the email, the signature with billing contact information and any important links.
Account Overdue: This email is sent immediately once the payment amount is overdue, which is determined by the overdue threshold being met or exceeded. It also instructs the parent/guardian making the payment to return to the parent portal or contact the school. *Includes a link to the Billing Statement. (You can customize it in your letter templates as mentioned above).
- Note about unpaid deposit: If your school has a paper check option that's chosen by the parent and they do not submit the check by the billing day, or if an Admin hasn't recorded the payment within the payer's record, this email will still go out for an unpaid deposit. The deposit charge will be added to the ledger with the associated date. On the billing date it will attempt to auto-withdraw, if set up. If no payment is made by the grace period (if one is set), then this email will go out.
Billing Day Changed: This email will be sent automatically once the Admin changes the individual billing date for a payer within the 'Overview' tab in the parent/payer record. Click here to learn more. If a change is made to the global billing day within Settings-->Financial-->Billing Setup, you have the option to send an email to all billing accounts that the billing day changed, or to hold off on sending an email.
Payment Failure: This email goes out immediately to the parent/guardian making the payment if their payment method fails. It instructs them to return to the parent portal or contact the school.
Payment Received: This email is sent immediately to the payer to confirm receipt of a successful payment.
Statement Updated: This email is not automated, and is only sent manually if the Admin clicks on the 'send statement' button in a parent/payer record. If charges or fees are changed, the Admin should click on the 'send statement' button to notify the parent/payer of any account changes. This email informs the payer that their billing statement has been updated to reflect recent changes with a link to the updated statement.
Upcoming Payment: This email goes out 2 days before the payment is due according to the global Billing Day, or according to a custom billing day if one is set within the payer's record. It includes the upcoming charge amount and due date. *This email includes a link to the Billing Statement.
Upcoming Statement: This email goes out 10 days before the payment is due according to the global Billing Day or according to a custom billing day if one is set within the payer's record. It includes the upcoming amounts and any overdue amounts with the due date.
Billing Specific Merge Fields
Billing templates have a merge field category called 'statement' for all billing-related tokens such as the current balance, due date, a link to the billing statement, etc.
IMPORTANT: These merge tokens ONLY work in the automated Billing email templates and will not work in any custom email templates sent manually or tied to an automated communication plan (PRO feature).
Billing Letter Templates
The Billing Statement is a letter template located within Settings-->Communication-->Letter Templates-->Billing Statement. This statement is automatically linked in the email templates listed below. Click here to learn how to edit letter templates.
- Account Overdue
- Billing Day Changed
- Statement Updated
- Upcoming Payment
- Upcoming Statement
The tax statement is a letter template located within Settings-->Communication-->Letter Templates-->Tax Statement. The tax statement is a link located within the Billing Management tab of the Parent Portal within the Ledger header. Payers can download their tax statements for any calendar year they have made payments for. This statement will include all payments within a calendar year, defined as January 1st through December 31st. It will also split those payments into the specific categories that they have been applied to.
IMPORTANT: The statement cannot currently be hidden or removed from the portal.
Sample PDF View (with customized branding)