Many elements of the Billing Process can be handled between the student contact record and the parent/guardian contact records. Financial responsibility and splits can be managed in the student record, whereas charge history, adding fees, and credits are handled in the parent record.
How-To: Use the Billing Tab on the Student Record
When you are viewing a specific student's contact record within SchoolAdmin, you can access their Billing tab by clicking on it from the list of tabs at the top of the page.
(Please note: Your available tabs may differ from what is displayed above, based on the modules you are using).
Within the Billing tab in the student record, you will see a list of financially responsible parents/guardians and their percentage splits. You can click on any of the parent/guardian names to quickly jump to the Billing tab in their contact record.
How-To: Use the Billing Tab on the Parent/Guardian Record
Once you click on a parent/guardian name or go to their contact record directly, you can click on the 'Billing' tab which is comprised of four sub-tabs (Overview, Ledger, Balances, and Audits), explained in more detail below.
Within the Overview tab, you have access to the following:
- Current Balance: View the current dollar amount balance for the parent you're currently viewing.
- Autopay: Turn autopay on or off for the parent. You can also use the 'View Changes' button to see an audit history of autopay being enabled or disabled for them.
- Billing Day: View the current billing day for the parent and optionally change it using the drop-down menu.
Within the Ledger tab, you can see a record of each financial transaction and any upcoming amounts that will be due.
The columns in this tab are as follows:
- Date: The date that a charge, credit, or payment is due or was added.
- Description: A brief description of the charge/credit/payment.
- Type/Category: The billing category of the charge/credit/payment.
- Amount: The amount of the charge/credit/payment.
- Current Balance: Current remaining balance for the parent.
On the Ledger, there will be a dotted line, as shown below (between August and September), that will move up on the billing day to divide past amounts and current amounts due.
Within the Ledger tab, you also have access to several Billing Action Buttons. You can add a charge such as a book fee, add a credit, add a payment, and view or send the billing statement. If you add a charge for a future date, it won’t show up on the current statement until that date is relevant.
Note about Late Fees: We cannot auto-set late fees at this time. Late fees are also assessed on the parent records, not on the students. You can set it to the primary payer or through a split. Schools will need to filter out for kids for any late fees and add the charge in bulk.
To add a charge, credit, or payment, you'll be asked for the date of the charge, a description, the billing category, and the amount as shown below. For a payment, you'll have an additional button to add a split.
View & Send Statement
Clicking the 'View Statement' button will allow you to view a PDF of the existing billing statement, which can also be downloaded. The 'Send Statement' button can be used to send an updated statement directly to the parent/guardian via email. You will be asked to confirm this action after clicking the button.
The Balances tab will show you all of the billing categories, the student that has these categories applied, and the remaining balance.
The Audits tab shows a collection of all pre-posted (future payments) AND current charges, credits, and changes that are recorded on the Ledger. This includes both automated and manual charges/payments/adjustments.
Within this tab, you can see the following columns:
- Date: The date that the charge/credit/adjustment was made.
- Description: The description of the financial line item.
- Type/Category: The Billing Type/Category of the financial line item.
- Amount: The dollar amount of the charge/credit/adjustment.
- Created On: The date a charge/credit/adjustment was created.
- Created By: For all pre-posted amounts, this column will display the email address of the parent/guardian that submits the contract. Manual payments will display the email address of the payer. For any changes made to the account, this column will display the email address of the Admin that made those changes internally. A payment made via autopay will have no email address displayed.
- Deleted On: The date a financial line item was deleted in the Ledger. IMPORTANT: If you delete a financial line item in the 'Ledger' tab, the old line item will be removed from the ledger, but it will show up as a deleted item in the 'Audits' tab. If you modify a financial line item, the old item will be deleted from the Ledger and be recorded as deleted in the 'Audits' tab, and the modified financial line item will display in the 'Audits' tab and in the ledger.
- Deleted By: The name of the user that deleted the financial line item.