The 'Billing Management' tab in the Parent Portal allows parents to manage all tuition and fee payments and a history of payments made.
- Parents/Guardians will access your school's contract/registration form within the checklist of the Parent Portal.
- They'll select their payment plan and any other options you have listed within the contract. Note: Payment plans MUST be setup with schedules. Click here to learn more.
- The contract will then be signed by one parent/guardian, or by two if your school is using dual signatures. Click here to learn more about dual signatures.
- If using dual signatures, either parent/guardian can pay the deposit and enter in their payment information. They can also check a box to enroll in auto-pay for tuition payments.
Important Note: The parent/guardian that pays the deposit, will be assigned 100% financial responsibility for billing payments, unless the financial split is setup ahead of time by the school. It can be adjusted at any point in time after contract signing to reflect a split within the student record. Please note, the deposit cannot be split across payers.
Billing Management Tab
Within the 'Billing Management' tab, parents/guardians can see the following:
- Amount Due Today: This is the current total balance that is owed by this contact. If a financial split has been setup, each parent/guardian will only see the amount that they owe, and they cannot see the split amounts that have been applied. If the account is overdue, there will be a red triangle as shown above indicating that there's an overdue balance.
- Next Amount Due: This is the next amount that's due and the due date. If you set a custom auto-pay date for the payer, they will see their own individual date reflected here. Otherwise, it will display the global billing day by default.
- Make Payment button: This button will display once the first billing statement is sent, which is 10 days prior to the date that the first payment is due on the global billing day. Once available, the parent can click the button to make a current payment that's due if they're not enrolled in auto-pay.
Manual/Pay Ahead/Additional Payments and Autopay
Parents can also make manual payments for the current balance or any custom amounts as defined by the payer. This allows the parent to underpay or overpay the amount due. When submitting their payment, they can use saved account details or enter new payment details. They can also enable or disable AutoPay. Once their payment has been submitted and processed, they'll receive a 'payment received' email. If the payment fails, they'll receive a 'payment failed' email. Both of these templates can be customized within your Billing email templates. When a parent makes a payment, they'll enter the following information:
- Current balance or custom amount
- Payment method: They can use a saved a payment method or enter new payment details.
- An option to enroll in autopay if they're not already enrolled.
Important Note for Manual Payment Reporting: Manual payments will not be assigned to the student until the next billing date. You can see the payment reflected in the payer's ledger, however, you won't see the student it was applied to until the billing date. The payment also will not be applied to the student's balance on the Billing Student List page.
Admin-Entered Manual Payments
Admins can also apply manual payments if a parent/guardian drops a check off at the school within the payer record. Click here to learn how.
Parents can enable/disable autopay to saved/verified payment credentials. The use case is that parents sometimes want to turn off autopay if they have insufficient funds, and then re-enable it with their previously saved banking credentials.
When a parent has autopay setup, it will display under their next amount due. They can hover over the 'i' to see when the account will be charged.
Parents/guardians can manage their autopay details along the right. They can see what payment information is saved for autopay.
Clicking on the 'update payment details' button will provide options to either update or delete account info.
- Ledger: Payers can see their entire ledger of charges and credits including the date, description and category of the fee/credit, the amount and remaining balance.
- View Statement: This will open a copy of the billing statement that payers can print at any point for their records. (The billing statement is located in your letter templates if you'd like to customize it or add your banner).
- Tax Statement: This will open a copy of the tax statement that payers can print at any point for their records. (The tax statement is located in your letter templates if you'd like to customize it).
- Account Information: This is where a parent/guardian can enroll in auto-pay or see if they're already enrolled. They can also update their payment information at any point.
- When a parent is already successfully enrolled in autopay, they will see a message that says 'AutoPay Enabled' within their account balances section.
- School Contact Information: Located along the right side, this is how families can contact key people at your school.
Billing for Inactive Statuses
IMPORTANT: Billing will still post for any students that are moved to an inactive enrollment status that have outstanding/remaining balances. Depending on your school's policy for the payer's financial responsibility of the situation, the school will need to apply a credit to all associated payer accounts for any amounts not owed. Inactive statuses include financial/academic hold, midyear withdrawal, not enrolling, and any custom inactive statuses.
- Click here to learn how to set financial responsibility and split payment amounts.