Online Forms in SchoolAdmin allow you to easily collect information from your applying/enrolling families or internal notes from your team - no paper needed!
In this article, you can learn about the different types of online forms that exist in SchoolAdmin, and the different states for creating, editing, and publishing them.
How-To: Understand Different Form Types
All online forms can be found within Settings -> Forms in your SchoolAdmin site.
See below for descriptions of each form type. Please note: Your list of online form types may differ from this depending on which modules you have purchased.
- Inquiry Forms – The form a family fills out to inquire about your school.
- Application Forms – The form a family fills out to apply to your school.
- Custom Admission Forms – Any form other than the application that a family would fill out during the application process. Some examples include student essay questions, a personal statement form, and/or event signup forms.
- Custom Appointment Forms - Special type of form that can be linked to calendars to collect additional information at the time of event registration.
- Teacher Recommendation Forms – Forms parents can send electronically to teachers to receive recommendations. These can be subject-area specific or general.
- Recommendation Customization – This page allows you to customize the decline reasons for teacher recommendation forms.
- Checklist Item Request Forms - Forms parents can send electronically to receive school transcripts, records, or other documents. Commonly known as Document Request Forms.
- Contract Forms – The form used after a family accepts an offer to your school and decides to enroll. This typically contains a student's tuition, fees, and payment plan options.
- Custom Enrollment Forms – Any form other than the enrollment contract/registration form that a family would fill out during the enrollment process. Some examples include emergency contact forms, health forms, and/or transportation forms.
How-To: Understand Different Form States
When you click into a specific form within SchoolAdmin, you will see the name of the form and the history of all versions of that form. Contract Forms and Custom Enrollment Forms will be associated with specific terms, and you can use the term picker at the top of the page to select the desired term/school year to view or edit.
On the form page, you will see the following columns:
1. State: This is the current state of that version of the form. A form can have the following states:
- Active: The current published version of the form. This is the version of the form visible to families and your admins/users on the checklist. Only one version of any form can be active at a time.
- Draft: A non-published, editable version of the form. Drafts are not visible to your applying or enrolling families.
- Retired: This is a previously published version of the form that has been retired in favor of a new version. Retired versions of forms are no longer visible to your applying or enrolling families.
2. Created At: This is the date and time that the form was created, displayed in your school's local timezone.
3. Published At: For active or retired forms, this is the date and time the form was published, displayed in your school's local timezone. For Draft forms, this column will be blank, since they have not yet been published.
4. Last Edited By: This displays the name of the Admin that last edited the form and saved their changes.
5. Actions: These are the actions you can take on a form:
- Show: For published and retired forms, this action will give you a technical overview of the form attributes. For draft forms, this action will let you edit the form.
- Clone: This action creates a copy of the form in a draft state so you can edit and/or publish it. A best practice is to clone the active form, so that you are editing the most recent version.
- Publish: This will publish the form as 'Active' and make it visible to families. This action retires the previously active version of the form. Custom forms must be attached to the checklist in order to be visible in the Parent Portal.
- Delete: This will permanently delete the draft version of the form. This action will not display for active or retired forms. Deleted drafts cannot be recovered.
- Preview: This action will allow you to preview the form as a family would see it in the Parent Portal. This is the best way to test the changes made to the form.
6. Form Comment: This is where you can leave a note about the form version. This is useful for tracking changes made as you publish new versions of the form. Type into the box and click the blue 'Save' button to save your comment.